Calcaire Pinot Noir

Calcaire Pinot Noir

2016 Pinot Noir
Derwent Valley, TAS

The impeccable line and evolution in the glass makes this a wine of pedigree.

$89 each

Wine Details

Region

Derwent Valley

Vintage

2016

Type

Red Wine

Variety

Pinot Noir

Volume

750mL

Alcohol Volume

13.8%

PH

3.73

Standard Drinks

8.2

Acidity

6

Sugar

0

Closure

Screw Cap

Bottling Date

February 2017

Harvest Date

March 2016

Background

This wine is our attempt at conveying to you the impact of our high subsoil calcium levels. We believe that the physiological ripeness of the grapes develops more harmoniously and earlier in the ripening cycle. Of particular note in this wine is the flavour and structure of the acid.

Vineyard Notes

Grown on a north -facing bank of the Derwent River this is a 28-year-old cool-climate vineyard. The soils are permeable loams over Permian Lime originating from a 250-280M year old seabed. The vines are meticulously hand tended and yields are reduced by 50% to one bunch per shoot.

Winemaking

The hand-picked fruit was hand sorted in the winery. 40% was whole bunches straight into a fermenter and crushed by foot, the remaining 60% was destemmed to a fermenter. 100% wild yeast, hand plunged and extended post ferment maceration before being transferred to 100% new oak for maturation. Malolactic occurred naturally in the spring. A small sulphur addition, filtration then bottling.

Tasting Notes

Spend time and enjoy each glass as it opens. Some key features to look for are the lack of new oak impact, the lack of green stalk flavour and feel, an impeccable line and that evolution in the glass that really marks a wine of pedigree.

Style

Structured, intense flavour.

Colour

Rich dark plum, cherry

Bouquet

Powerful and spicy, cocoa and cloves.

Palate

Brambly, dark berry fruits, spice.

Peak Drinking / Cellaring Potential

15 years

Food Matches

Duck, Game, Red meat, Rich risottos, pasta.

Other products you might like

Lime Kiln Point Pinot Noir
$35 each
2018 Pinot Noir Lime Kiln Point Pinot Noir
With a harvest sourced from 3 Vineyards, pure fresh primary berry fruits with underlying tannins, acidity and oak,
Pinot Noir
$50 each
2017 Pinot Noir Pinot Noir
Defined and intense fruits, texture and weight throughout, tannins present yet fine and integrated.
Pinot Noir
$70 each
2013 Pinot Noir Pinot Noir
Museum stock released for our Cellar Club.